Did you lose power?
4K Lose Power From Storm In Mount Prospect Area: ComEd - Arlington Heights, IL - A severe thunderstorm warning was in effect for the area Monday afternoon and early evening, according to the National Weather Service.
ComEd power outage in Chicago, Illinois leaves 260K in dark, power may not be restored for days - ABC7 Chicago
ComEd outages are still effecting more than 260,000 Chicago area customers after severe storms brought a derecho, high winds and even a brief tornado to the Chicago area.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from Addison, Illinois
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.