Did you lose power?
Power outages were reported by Eversource and United Illuminating after a storm brought lightning and strong winds blew tree limbs down.
Thousands without power after strong storms move through western Massachusetts | WWLP Open Navigation Close Navigation
The 22News Storm Team has issued a Severe Weather Alert for Wednesday as strong winds could cause wind damage and power outages.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from Cheshire, Massachusetts
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.