Did you lose power?
5 things we learned in Week 11: Bill Cherpak joins ‘role model’ George Novak in WPIAL’s 300 club | Trib HSSN
Bill Cherpak could’ve succeeded in whatever career path he pursued, says his former high school football coach, recalling how the Steel Valley graduate already was a bright leader in those days.
Severe weather drives record high number of power outage events in Pennsylvania | WJET/WFXP/YourErie.com Open Navigation Close Navigation
Erie, Pennsylvania (WJET/WFXP/YourErie.com) — Recent severe weather has driven a record number of power outage events in Pennsylvania. A total of 63 “reportable outage events” during 2021 disrupted electric service to residents and businesses across Pennsylvania – all related to the impact of weather on the state’s power grid. This marks a substantial increase over […]
Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company Complete Three-Year Grid Modernization Project in Ashtabula County
80,000 customers were knocked out before crews started re-routing power to substations in Morris and Sussex counties.
Power outages planned for some Millcreek residents | WJET/WFXP/YourErie.com Open Navigation Close Navigation
(WJET/WFXP/YourErie.com) — Two power outages are planned for select areas of Millcreek this week. According to the Millcreek Township Office of Emergency Management, the outages will impact two separate groups. One group will see an 8-hour outage on Aug. 9. The other group will see a 30-minute outage before and after the 8-hour outage. The […]
Power was reported still out to hundreds of NYSEG customers in Chenango County and Tioga County early August 5.
Update: As of 9:30 p.m. Friday, the number of people without power in Erie has gone down to 58 total. There are 13 reported power outages in the City of Erie, 44 still in Harborcreek, and less than five in Millcreek. Update: As of 9 p.m. Friday, the numbers continue to fluctuate as there are […]
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from Geneva, Ohio
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.