Did you lose power?
How to Report Power Outage
Power outage in Linden, Texas? Contact your local utility company.
Our live updates keep you up to date on everything going on surrounding Tropical Storm Nicole on Florida's East Coast.
Can the Texas power grid survive the crypto mining boom? Activating this button will toggle the display of additional content Slate homepage Submit search Enter query Activating this button will toggle the display of additional content Open menu Close menu Activating this button will toggle the display of additional content Slate on Instagram Slate on Twitter Slate on Facebook Slate homepage * Slate on Instagram Slate on Twitter Slate on Facebook The Slate Group logo
“I don't want my AC to be competing against Bitcoin mines,” says Texas Monthly’s Russell Gold.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.