Did you lose power?
Refinery outages contributed to California’s gas price spike. So why do we know so little about them?
Outages at California refineries helped propel gas prices as high as $8 per gallon last...
One racoon had made its way into a substation transformer, causing an outage Monday night that left residents in Seguin, population 30,000 in the dark.
The victims are a 94-year-old man and an 80-year-old woman, who are unrelated. Both were on oxygen machines when they lost power.
Conservatives attacked California officials for asking EV owners to unplug during a historic heat wave. But experts say the influx of millions of electric
Rocky Mountain Power says while Utah's power grid is stressed, the state is not the verge of experiencing rolling blackouts as is the case in California.
As the intense heat wave continues to grip Northern California, people are taking advantage of their air-conditioners, but there can be problems if they are overworked.
The south area of Ames underwent a power outage starting around 8 a.m. Wednesday and lasting for roughly an hour before electric services restored it. Two substations at Mortensen Street and Veterinary Medicine experienced mechanical failures. Within a few minutes, Veterinary Medicine was restored with power. The Mortensen outages affected the area around the station....
Power was restored to nearly all N.B. Power customers early Thursday following a massive outage.
A line of hundreds of amusement park-goers were forced to wait in 90-plus degree heat on Friday after power went out at Six Flags Great Adventure.
The 1977 outage lasted 25 hours and led to looting in many neighborhoods.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from Lindsay, California
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.