Did you lose power?
Power lines cause NC Highway 54 to close in Chapel Hill, officials say | CBS 17 Open Navigation Close Navigation
A fallen tree brought down power lines Saturday afternoon causing Highway 54 in Chapel Hill to close.
Our live updates keep you up to date on everything going on surrounding Hurricane Ian on Florida's Coast.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.