Did you lose power?
Top 25/nation roundup
A barn and a house in the Town of Owego are said to be a total loss following a fire October 19 that drew firefighters from Tioga and Broome counties.
39th district: All bets are off in Plummer vs. Jackson rematch
A map showing the storm’s path as it continues inland after making landfall in South Carolina.
Electric service to one of downtown Binghamton's tallest buildings was knocked out following a reported transformer explosion.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from North Jackson, Ohio
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.