Did you lose power?
How to Report Power Outage
Power outage in North Montpelier, Vermont? Contact your local utility company.
Mall of America in Minnesota testing metal detectors, college wrestler saves teammate from grizzly bear in Wyoming, and more
Winter storm brings ice, snow, power outages and flight cancellations - The Washington Post The Washington Post Comment on this story Wp ArrowRight GiftOutline Loading... Refresh
Storm, which unloaded heavy snow and ice from New Mexico to Maine, snarled traffic and cancelled thousands of flights.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from North Montpelier, Vermont
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.