Did you lose power?
How to Report Power Outage
Power outage in Palacios, Texas? Contact your local utility company.
Cuba swelters through power outages amid an energy grid in need of an overhaul NBC News Logo Search Search NBC News Logo MSNBC Logo Today Logo
In Cuba, a recent fire exacerbated power outages of the aging energy grid, but currency shortages amid the decadeslong U.S. embargo make repairs difficult.
During a time of record hot temperatures across Texas, The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) issued an appeal to residents and businesses to voluntarily conserve electricity Monday between 2-8 p.m. ERCOT also issued an alert for a projected reserve capacity shortage during that time.
Extreme weather, power outages, and centralized grid failures are increasingly becoming the norm. How will PV and battery energy storage mitigate and adapt to climate problems?
The region of Laredo experienced another frigid weather event Friday which raised...
9 months after the Texas freeze, the power grid remains vulnerable NBC News Logo Search Search NBC News Logo MSNBC Logo Today Logo
This article was published in partnership with The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan local newsroom that informs and engages with Texans.
San Antonio’s special committee on emergency preparedness met for the last time Friday before it plans to release a full report later this month. A new series of maps showing how long certain parts of the city went without power during the winter storm were released.
Texas oil and gas companies face few consequences after power outages | The Texas Tribune Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator Loading indicator
Politically powerful natural gas production and transportation companies, along with their regulators, appear to have so far escaped the wrath of the governor and the Legislature in the aftermath of the Texas power outages.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from Palacios, Texas
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.