Did you lose power?
How to Report Power Outage
Power outage in Richlands, Virginia? Contact your local utility company.
Richlands Police Chief resigns Open Navigation Close Navigation
TAZEWELL COUNTY, VA (WVNS) — The Richlands Police Chief resigned at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, August 15, 2022, according to town council member Doug Ratliff. Jerry Gilbert was appointed to the position in 2018. On Monday he turned in his letter of resignation to the town manager, who informed the rest of the council members. […]
Richlands man arrested on several charges including DUI | WVNS Open Navigation Close Navigation
TAZEWELL COUNTY, VA (WVNS) — Officers with the Richlands Police Department responded to a call at Richlands High School on Saturday, August 6, 2022, at 7:22 p.m. One man was asked to leave Ernie Hicks stadium, as staff reportedly said the man was intoxicated. They also noticed he had a gun with him while inside […]
Richlands residents furious over expensive utility rates Open Navigation Close Navigation
RICHLANDS, VA (WVNS)– Utility rates in the Town of Richlands increased 20 percent in the last two years and residents are looking for answers as to why. Citizens who are on the Richlands Power System are angry with their town council because of what they call fluctuating utility costs. When residents like, Laura Mollo and […]
Human remains found in remote area in Richlands Open Navigation Close Navigation
RICHLANDS, VA (WVNS)– March 3, 2022, UPDATE: Human remains found in Richlands in February were identified. According to Chief Jerry Gilbert with the Richlands Police Department, the remains have been identified as Richard Honaker by the medical examiner. He said the department is still waiting for the full autopsy. Gilbert added they do not suspect […]
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from Richlands, Virginia
**ATTENTION** We are currently experiencing an isolated power outage in town. The outage was caused by a tree that… https://t.co/6snq9ilN4k
There will be a scheduled power outage at midnight tonight for up to 30 minutes in the following areas Big Creek, D… https://t.co/LgTKc1rXmP
Due to numerous power outages and icy conditions, Tazewell County Public Schools will be closed on Wednesday, February 20, 2019.
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.
Report power outage in other Virginia cities.