Did you lose power?
West Winfield Power Outages Caused by Weather
Floyd County home burns down due to power outage from storms | WOWK Open Navigation Close Navigation
A Floyd County home has completely burned down due to a massive power outage from heavy rain and flooding.
Ever feel we are sometimes too reliant on technology?
A spring snowstorm left thousands without power in Upstate New York. Here's where you can find resources in the Mohawk Valley:
Congressman Frank Pallone has sent a letter to the president of Jersey Central Power & Light, demanding that the utility offer detailed explanations about outages that affected his district on Jan. 17, 21 and 26.
Are you affected? Leave your comment below.
Tweets from West Winfield, New York
Power Outage FAQs
What is Power Outage?
Power outage (also called a power cut, a power blackout, power failure or a blackout) is a short-term or a long-term loss of the electric power to a particular area.
What Causes Power Outages?
- Severe weather (high winds, lightning, winter storms, heat waves, rain or flooding can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Other damage to electric transmission lines (vehicle accidents, trees, and animals can cause damage to power lines or equipment);
- Repairing, maintenance or upgrades on power lines and equipment.
What are the Top Outage Safety Tips?
- Stay away from the downed power lines, park vehicles in protected areas;
- Unplug appliances and electronics, limit cell phone use to conserve battery life;
- Use portable generators outdoors only, well away from open windows and doors;
- Pack perishable foods into a cooler, keep refrigerator and freezer doors shut as much as possible.
West Winfield, New York
|New York (NY)